Spring 2021 Information
- School Hours
- Weekly Schedule
- Hybrid Schedule
- Technology Information
- Infinite Campus
- Spring Testing
- Breakfast & Lunch
- Activities & Athletics
Period 5 meets everyday for roughly 50 minutes.
Odd periods 1, 3, 7 meet generally on Monday and Thursday for 95 minutes each.
Even periods 2, 4, 6 meet generally on Tuesday and Friday for 95 minutes each.
Weeks that only have 4 days, Wednesday is generally skipped to maintain the block schedule. See the daily schedule for the specific rotation.
Courses that meet on Day A or Day B will BOTH meet on block days. The Day A course will meet first. Wednesday will alternate between Day A and Day B. See the daily schedule for the specific rotation.
On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, Teachers will host a synchronous daily welcome/check in via Google Meet.
The daily welcome/check in will follow the schedule outlined at each site and will include at least the first 10 minutes of each class. We expect that every student will participate in the regular school day, during class time in order to be most successful.
We prefer that students have their cameras live when possible, or post a nice picture as your image.
When not in daily welcome/check in, teachers must be available to students via Google Meet and Google Chat to answer questions, small group instruction, and for individual student check ins.
On Wednesdays students will work independently in all courses. Assignments will be posted for each course on Canvas. In the afternoons, teachers will be available during office hours to assist students via Google meet or chat.
During distance learning, students are responsible for marking their attendance each day. Students must check in to Infinite Campus anytime between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. daily. Attendance only needs to be marked one time each day, and teachers will give students reminders during each class period for students to make sure they have done so. Student video on how to check in
During hybrid learning, attendance will be taken as follows:
In-person students: by period, by teacher just like a normal school day. If your child will be absent during any time of the day or needs to leave for an appointment, please call 651.403.7107.
Virtual (Distance Learning): once a day with a student completing “check in”
Not sure if you've check in successfully? Watch this.
If your child runs into any difficulties with their technology (computers, etc.) while learning, please contact Kurt Koefod at email@example.com or call 651-403-7005.
Password Help for Google and Infinite Campus
If you cannot remember your Google or Infinite Campus password, please call the district tech office at 651-403-8400. Leave a detailed message with the spelling of your first and last name and a number where you can be reached.
Please contact a teacher for help accessing all other curriculum resources.
You may also contact the district tech office for device issues at 651-403-8400 or firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
If your child attended middle school in School District 197, they used an iPad. At the high school, however, students use a laptop to access course content, complete homework, collaborate and communicate with classmates, conduct research and more.
This does not mean that students at Henry Sibley use a computer for the entire period of each class throughout their day. Our teachers continue to use traditional instructional methods and ask students to complete assignments or projects using tools other than a computer.
All students at Henry Sibley have two options:
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD): Students/families bring a device to school that they currently own or purchase that meets the minimum requirements to use in class each day.
- Use a school-owned device – Students will be provided with a computing device in the fall to use throughout their four years of high school. The device will be assigned specifically to the student who will need to bring it to school each day. School devices are a mix of new, currently owned and recertified Chromebooks and Macbooks.
SCHOOL-ISSUED DEVICE: Accessing Your Chromebook
- Open the device and turn it on. The device may need to charge prior to turning on.
- Once you have turned on the device, select Let’s Go (in blue). You will then be prompted to connect to the internet (wifi). Accept Google’s terms and conditions.
- After you have connected your device to the internet open Chrome and log into Google.
- Google Username: As a reminder, your Google username was created using your full legal first name and the last 4 digits of your 6 digit student ID (Example: Benjamin1234@isd197.org).
Google Password: Use your Google password from last school year. Google passwords are not reset over the summer.
If prompted, be sure to sync your Google account with this device using the domain isd197.org.
LOGGING INTO CANVAS (Learning Management System)
Canvas is used by teachers across School District 197 in grades 5-12 to create one online location for students to access course work, submit assignments. online textbooks, view the class calendar and collaborate with classmates.
- Students use their Google log in to access Canvas.
- If you have trouble opening Canvas, please check that you have done with following before contacting a teacher for assistance:
- Always use the Chrome browser
- Only be logged into your school Gmail account. You will not be able to log in to Canvas if you are also logged in to a personal Gmail account.
- Check that your Google Sync in on. (From any Google doc, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner, select Settings. Select Sync & Google Services to verify that your sync is turned on.)
LINKS FOR CANVAS AND INFINITE CAMPUS
Click on the Student Life tab (above). Here you will find many resources, including the link for Canvas and the Infinite Campus Student Portal.
The Infinite Campus Portal is how parents/guardians of School District 197 students can access their student’s attendance information, grades, test scores and more. This is available through the Internet anytime, anywhere. Students also have an Infinite Campus account. Each person; parent/guardian and student, has a unique login.
STUDENT ACCESS TO INFINITE CAMPUS
Students will use Infinite Campus to access your schedule, grades, and attendance. Infinite Campus Username is your full legal first name and the last 4 digits of your 6 digit student ID (example: Benjamin1234). This is also with first part of your email address.
ACT: Juniors will be taking the ACT on Tuesday, March 16 during the school day. We will provide the test onsite for all juniors. The class schedule for March 16 will be moved to March 17 to accommodate the ACT. Transportation will be provided for those who need it. More details will be shared with juniors through their school email.